Sunday, July 5, 2009

Keep On Pushing

Finally a baseball player that looks you in the eye and basically tells you without telling you that he doesn't care if you think he's a cheater for using performance enhancing drugs (PED). Thank you Manny Ramirez. As a sports fan, I think I speak for a lot of us when I say "I don't care if a guy uses steroids or not!" For the longest time Major League Baseball turned it's head to the steroid problem because it was good for the game. The truth of the matter is it's still good for the game.

It doesn't really matter whether Manny is telling the truth when he says he was being treated for a personal condition and he and his doctor thought it would be okay to use female fertility drugs to treat that condition. It doesn't even matter if he's played the game clean or not.

What matters is what Manny brings to the field. His teammate love him. The fans in L.A. love him. And the media loves him. Why do they love him? It's simple. It's his talent at the plate and his character off the field. Barry Bonds has been vilified for steroid use because people just don't like him. So it's safe to say that if people like you then you can be forgiven for whatever wrong doing you have been involved in.

As a fan I'm not here to determine what records should stand or what records shouldn't. I just want to see great athletes be great. It's about the entertainment value. I don't know who's done what and what affect it has had on their performance. No test can nor can any so called expert determine what PEDs actually do for a player. I think it's safe to say the results vary from athlete to athlete.

The bottom line is the whole steroid issue needs to be put to rest so us fans can get back to enjoying our sports and the players we follow. Until every PED can be tested for let the players and the sports they play work themselves out. I say this because the people who design these PEDs adapt and make new drugs that there's no test for. So I say make an effort to police the designers so that the players can't get to these drugs so easily. Until that happens put it to rest and know that it's possible that the game you are watching is full of guys using steroids athletes to be the best they can be at their respective sports.

Until next time, have a good one.

You can follow me on twitter at www.twitter.com/bhendrix5.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Bakari, I remember watching you play for the South Dragons in Australia. Where are you playing nowadays?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I played in Lebanon for a little while this past season. I'm just about done playing ball. I remember when I was like you and just getting started professionally. Enjoy everything about it. All the ups and downs will make you whole. Trust me. Good luck. Follow my blog. I have some good stuff coming up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. PED, are probably used by most athletes in some form or another and with that said, all sports are rigged and they should test everyone daily, whichin will take time and money. So Players, have been cheating for years and all wins, accomplishments , achievements that were not meritted can not be taken back. I don't think it is the drug that makes them win it is the Player of the game. If you are good you are good. Now if you want to be stupid and take drugs that will jack you up later the long term effect is your own personal problem. PED should just be legalized just like Weed should be.

    ReplyDelete