Thursday, July 21, 2011

Overseas vs. NBA

Here I am again, people. I wasn't going to touch on this subject in my blog, but since I've had to talk about it so much in my normal everyday life I figured I might as well blog about it. So let's get into it.

Recently some NBA players have come out and said they'd play overseas while the lockout is going on. New Jersey Nets point guard Deron Williams is apparently going to play in Turkey until the lockout is over. The first thing I'll say is this is a bad move and he's getting bad advice from his agent. I played in Turkey and let me tell you from personal experience, living and playing professional basketball in Turkey is a long way from the NBA.

I don't care what country it is or how much money an overseas team is promising a player. Under no circumstances should a player who's getting or is going to get GUARANTEED NBA MONEY play overseas. The risks of injury, safety, and dishonor of the contact are to high. Take it from someone who's been on both sides and knows the difference. Guys who have never played overseas don't know what it's like. The luxuries the NBA offers it's players far exceed what's provided in an overseas contract.
The biggest thing that players have to consider is actually getting the money that's promised in the contract. It's common practice for overseas teams to stiff players if the player or the team don't perform to the level management thinks they should. It's not like the NBA where once the contract is signed the player is getting his money as long as he doesn't do anything to breach the contract himself. NBA players need to do their homework and research before they start jumping at what they think is easy money. Trust me when I tell you there's nothing easy about it.

I could go on and on about the pitfalls of playing overseas. My experiences give me a unique perspective on the business of basketball and the people involved. The truest thing I can say is that no matter what the new Collective Bargaining Agreement is it is still going to pay and provide a better life and lifestyle than any overseas deal. So established NBA players need to stay put, wait it out, and be thankful when it's time for them to go back to work. If you are a player that may or may not make an NBA team this year going overseas is a good move because you don't want to be out of work.

I could go a lot deeper, but this is a blog, not a book.

Thanks for joining me. Feel free to post your comments. Until next time, keep it 100.

No comments:

Post a Comment